Search This Blog

Saturday 25 January 2014

Drakensberg portal

I left Cape Town by greyhound bus to the Drakensberg mountians on 12th January (Sunday) arriving Ladysmith on the 13th. Stayed at the Royal Hotel (where a friend used to be a receptionist). On the evening I heard from my brother that my sister had passed away in the morning. I had to make a huge change in plans. In the morning I organised a flight back from Jo'burg plus the hire of a car so that I could get to Harrismith where the Jo'burg Intercape bus stopped. Before catching the bus I had a enough time to drive into the mountains and open the portal before heading back to Harrismith.

After checking out of the hotel, I drove down to the Monk's cowl which is at the end of the road from Ladysmith down to the Drakensberg via Winterton.


As you enter the park, the Mountains begin to enclose you in there green towering presence. I passed Cathedral Peak (where I was planning to stay) and reached Monk's cowl at about 11am. This is a starting point for lots of walking trails next Dragon's Peak. Next time I am there, hopefully I will have enough time to walk in the mountains.

With gratitude, knowing that the job had been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment